Abbotsford House

Posted in Local Attractions

Abbotsford House

Situated close to the border town of Melrose, on the southern bank of the mighty Tweed, this magnificent A listed house was formerly the residence of the 19th century novelist and poet, Sir Walter Scott.

( Remains of Scott are buried at Dryburgh Abbey )

The house ,first opened to the public in 1833, is built in the Scottish Baronial Style and  was completed in 1824. The house with its splendid grounds, features the most magnificent library, together with a fine  collection of  Scottish furniture, alongside arms and armour, relevant to the kingdom of Scotland.

The house   was occupied by Scot’s descendants until 2004 and amongst its many splendid features and magnificent gardens  now features  a splendid visitor centre, housing  an extensive exhibition on the life and  legacy of Scott,together with  a gift shop  and restaurant .

Abbotsford can be reached by car from Falsidehill in around 20 mins.

Details on the house can be  obtained here.   Video here.

 

 


View Larger Map