Wallace Statue

Posted in Local Attractions

Wallace Statue

 

A statue to William Wallace, Guardian of Scotland and hero of the 13th century  Wars of Independence, sands in the grounds of Bemersyde House , not too far distant from Falside Hill. It towers over the Tweed and extends to some 31 feet.(including plinth) Wallace bears a two handed sword in his right hand and in his left, holds a shield.

Originally commissioned by David Stuart Erskine, the statue was first presented to the people in 1814.

At the base of the statue is an urn bearing the inscription:

“Peerless knight of Elderslie Who wav’d on Ayr’s romantic shore The beamy torch of liberty, And roaming round from sea to sea From glade obscure of gloomy rock His bold companion call’d to free The realm from Edward’s iron yoke.”

How to get there: By car: From the B6404, St Boswells to Kelso road, turn off along the B6356 road, signposted Dryburgh Abbey. About one mile along this road there is a junction signposted for Scott’s View to the right. Follow this road for about ½ mile. Car Parking is available on the left. It can also be reached on foot from Dryburgh Village.

 


View Larger Map

Picture, courtesy of  Myspace.